How do you use my clothing donations?
Items donated at our Homeless Prevention Center (26th & O Street), Shelter (110 Q Street) and our Toss Boxes are collected and sorted to be:
- Distributed at our Homeless Prevention Center and Shelter (for free)*
- Baled and sold to be recycled (wearables & textiles)
Wearables & textiles that are put in bags to be picked up for the ‘Haulers Helping Homeless’ program will be automatically taken to our warehouse and baled for recycling.
*It is our goal to give away as many donations as possible to the homeless and impoverished in Lincoln. Every person or family who ‘shops’ (for free) at our Homeless Prevention Center is able to take 25 items of clothing, per family, 2 times per week. That means a family can take 2,600 articles of clothing every year!
What do you mean when you say ‘recycled’?
Clothing, shoes, bedding, etc. that are baled for ‘recycling’ will be sold, with the money earned going right back into helping the needy people in our community. These baled textiles and wearables will eventually be sorted and used in a few different ways:
- Soiled, damaged & unusable textiles will be shredded for rags, recycled rugs, etc.
- Textiles in good condition will be sold to second-hand stores, micro-business in developing nations, etc. (So if the clothes you donate are in good condition, they will end up being distributed as clothing for people around the world!)
Do you have a list of items that can be baled and recycled?
- Yes! Clothes, Shoes, Belts, Purses & Bags, Coats, Hats, Gloves, Scarves, Sheets, Blankets, Quilts, Towels, Stuffed Animals (soft). Rule of thumb: if it’s wearable and/or a textile we can recycle it.